Immune Protocol for Prevention and Management of Viral Exposure of Infection
By Dr. Wes Youngberg 3/27/2020
A Summery of this Article
Sleep – 7-9 hrs. per night
Rest – esp. if tired, stressed or sick.
Water – Drink till urine is clear – Hot and Cold showers (3 min. hot, 30 sec. Cold – end with 1 min. cold)
Fresh air – open windows 10-20 min daily
Sunlight – Kills virus, get outside
Moderate Exercise – Walk daily esp. after meals, 20-30 min.
Nutrition – Dark Greens, Bright fruits and vegetables, Onions, Mushrooms, Cabbage
Avoid Immune impairing substances – sugar, refined foods, alcohol, fatty foods
Trust in God – “Fear not, I have overcome the world”
Check your Temp. daily to catch symptoms early (if above 100.4) start isolation+
If you are infected:
- Start isolation from others including those in your home
- Start natural treatments – Hot and cold showers
- God to bed
- Drink lots of water
- Eat healthy food
- Remain in bed 2-5 days after full recovery.
The Full Article
Immune Protocol for Prevention and Management of Viral Exposure or Infection.
DATE March 27, 2020
The most important steps for optimizing our immune function are to effectively implement and daily optimize the natural remedies:
- Sleep– 7-9 hours every night. Even one night of poor sleep increases the risk of infection. It lowers the dose of viruses needed to infect you.
- Rest – especially if tired, stressed or sick, complete rest is critical.
- Water intake– at minimum drink 16-20 oz. when you wake, mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Drink enough water to keep urine clear.
- Fresh air – multiple times daily open windows and ventilate your home for 10-20 minutes. If it is cold out, bundle up and ventilate anyway! Also try to get outside (back yard) for some light exercise and fresh air several times daily.
- Sunlight – kills virus quickly and warms the body. Even better, it infuses joy and calm into your veins
- Moderate exercise – Walking and other moderate movements greatly improve circulation and activation of your immune system. Walk at least 10-20 minutes after each meal.
- Nutrition – Eat only healthy foods three times daily but don’t overeat or snack.
- Avoiding immunity impairing substances (sugar, refined foods, nicotine, alcohol).
- Stress management – Unforgiveness produces high levels of inflammation thus increasing risk of immune suppression. “Forgiveness is the only prescription in the entire universe that is powerful enough to unlock the chemical bonds of hostility, resentment and bitterness. It is the medicine of greatest importance for healing of the body, mind or spirit.”
- Trust in God – Even if you don’t believe in God, He believes in you! He loves you and wants you to be healthy in body, mind and spirit. Talk to Him. He cares!
For a full discussion on natural remedies for those with COVID-19 see Dr. Youngberg’s presentation at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZwIGy0AbKM
Check your temperature 1 to 3 times every day:
A good prognosis with a full recovery is increased when the infection is diagnosed early and home isolation self-care management strategies are initiated promptly.
The more symptoms progress before intervention is started the greater the risk of developing severe and even critical phases of this disease greatly increasing risk of death.
Action Plan if you or a family member have a temperature of 100.4 F or greater (>99.6 F if elderly):
Step 1: Immediate isolation at home is critical
- Prevents spreading a potential viral infection to others
- Helps prevent the infection from progressing and becoming serious or critical – at which point hospitalization becomes necessary.
Step 2: Promptly start natural treatments while in home bedroom isolation to increase the likelihood of complete recovery. (See severity of COVID-19 illness below)
Do not physically go to the hospital before first contacting your primary physician or local urgent care or hospital ER by phone.
Once your condition is critical, COVID 19 has as much as a 49% case fatality rate.
Severity of COVID-19 Illness:
80% – either have no problematic symptoms or have mild to moderate disease (much like a bad cold or flu) and recover fully.
14% – develop severe disease that requires hospitalization due to experiencing need for supplemental oxygen support associated with worsening symptoms such as:
- a bad cough
- shortness of breath
- increased respiratory frequency (30 or more breaths per minute)
- blood oxygen saturation of 93% or less
- (every family should buy a $20 fingertip pulse oximeter for blood oxygen saturation monitoring)
- A severe cough and especially a blood oxygen saturation of 93% or lower requires immediate medical attention and/or hospitalization
6% – will eventually develop critical illness as
- Respiratory failure (from fluid and pus filling up the grape like alveoli air sacks in the lungs) thus requiring a mechanical ventilator.
- at risk of Septic shock
- at risk of multiple organ dysfunction and possible failure
The CDC and public health authorities are strongly encouraging us to:
- Avoid going to our doctor or hospital if our symptoms have not yet become severe. To date there are no good medical or drug therapies for mild to moderate COVID 19 illness.
- The natural interventions listed in this document are very effective especially when initiated soon after exposure or the earliest symptoms.
- Hospital care is restricted to those experiencing severe illness requiring IV fluids, oxygen and physician support; and especially for critical patients requiring treatment in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) with respirator support.
If infected and especially if symptomatic with any respiratory virus like the flu or the new coronavirus, it is critical:
- Immediately isolate yourself to your bedroom with complete bedrest (it is best to stay in a room that is away from the rest of your family or room mates)
- Drink water frequently to stay well hydrated (enough to maintain clear urine throughout the day)
- Avoid immune system suppressors – no sugar, no juices and no junk food
- Eat only wholesome food with an emphasis on:
- greens and colorful vegetables
- whole fruits and soups made of any type of beans or lentils
- eat three times daily with at least 4 hours of no food between
- meals in order to optimize digestion and optimize healing potential;
- try to sleep and/or rest quietly between meals.
- Hydrotherapy – using hot-cold contrast showers, bathing or fomentations:
- Can powerfully optimize immune function.
- Very effective in decongesting the lungs thus improving oxygen saturation.
- Greatly stimulate antibody production against viral and other form of infection.
- For more information on these natural remedies for optimizing our immune system, go to YouTube and search for Wes Youngberg’s YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nAnqb9nQUM
- Relapse Risk – can occur and reinfections can be more serious the second time.
- Strongly recommended that once a person has apparently fully recovered from symptoms, that person should stay isolated with bed rest for at least two more days and in many cases five days in order to give theimmune system the necessary time to fully recover and continue producing antibodies needed to destroy the still active viral load.
- Recent studies on COVID 19 have shown that the viral levels remain very high for days after an apparent full recovery. This means that the person is still infectious to others during that time and is also at high risk of relapse. Failure to stay isolated with full bed rest may result in needlessly infecting other family members, coworkers or other individuals you come in contact with.
Transmission of COVID-19
Published studies indicate that infected individuals can transmit the virus to others for up to 24 days before onset of symptoms. For this reason, everyone should seek to follow the universal precautions:
- Frequent hand washing
- Coughing or sneezing into your folded arm
- Use disinfectants on commonly touched surfaces like doorknobs, desk and table surfaces etc.
- Follow a preventive maintenance protocol in order to keep our immune system optimized in its ability to produce antibodies against the virus and to prevent replication of the virus in infected cells
Simple Remedies – specific nutritional supplements
Listed below are a few of the nutritional and herbal products that could further boost immune support during periods of exposure to infections and as a way to potentially limit the severity of the illness.
The following are the nutritional products that are often recommended by Dr. Youngberg for situations like this. These are typically the highest-grade products that are always sold at the suggested retail price or if allowed by the distributor at a discounted price. If these products become unavailable or back ordered because of supply disruptions, you are encouraged to find reasonable alternatives wherever possible. Be aware of internet store scams that give a discount but then charge extra for “shipping and handling” – sometimes $100 extra!
Vitamin D: Preventive/Maintenance – most adults need 5,000iu daily. Children should get a minimum of 2,000iu daily.
- Fall & Winter – most benefit from 10,000iu daily.
- Spring & Summer – need about 5,000iu daily.
- If infected – published reports suggest that adults may use up to 50,000iu once or twice daily for 3 to 5 days. The formula that works for all age groups including children is: may use up to 1,000iu Vitamin D per pound body weight per day for 3 days.
- At first sign of cold or flu take 1 full dropper or 25 drops (50,000iu) of Liquid D3.
- Alternative: Bio D Mulsion Forte, a highly absorbable form of vitamin D3. At first sign of cold or flu take 25 drops (50,000iu). If using 5,000iu capsules, take 10 capsules all at once to equal 50,000iu.
- Depending on severity of symptoms an adult may take the 50,000iu dose one, two or even three times a day for 3 to 5 days only. This is only for a few days and then resume the normal daily dose of 4,000 to 10,000iu daily.
Medical experts have documented that individuals with a cold or flu may take up to 1,000IU of Vitamin D per pound body weight per day (for three days only).
This natural supplementation protocol has the potential to significantly promote the activation of genes that stimulate the production of anti-microbial peptides and anti-viral chemotherapeutic compounds thus speeding the healing process. As an example: A 100-pound female notices symptoms of a cold or flu. She could take as much as 50 drops (100,000iu) of vitamin D daily for three days. However, most adults who are experiencing respiratory infections may benefit greatly from taking 25 drops/50,000iu (at 2,000IU per drop) twice daily for three to five days and then resume the maintenance dose.
According to the late Dr. Robert Heaney, Professor of Medicine at Creighton University and a world authority on clinical uses of Vitamin D, Children should be taking a minimum of 2,000iu of D3 daily but if infected with symptoms could use 1,000iu per pound body weight daily for three days as a way to further mobilize their immune system while it is under attack.
- Preventive/Maintenance: Most adults benefit from 1,000mg once to three times daily. Dose and frequency should always be increased slowly in order to avoid digestive distress while the body is adjustin
- If infected the body can absorb much higher doses of Vitamin C without any gastro-intestinal distress. Many find that increasing doses up to bowel tolerance three times daily is helpful to support the immune system.
- Vitality C – Vitamin C and Ribose: (contains 4,000mg of Vitamin C per scoop along with 2,000mg of Ribose. If high quality forms of vitamin C are not available, use any form that you have access to.
- Adults start with ¼ scoop several times daily and may gradually increase dose up to full scoop (4,000mg Vit C) mixed with water or mixed in a smoothie three times daily. Start by taking only ¼ tsp once daily and increase to three times daily and then gradually increase dose to ½ tsp and then a full tsp each time. This form of Vitamin C is formulated to be pH neutral and is non-acidic thus greatly reducing potential intestinal distress sometimes produced when initiating Vitamin C. Also contain methylated glycine and ribose for metabolism and liver support. Each individual needs to dose to their personal bowel tolerance. Gradually work up to larger doses in order to avoid intestinal upset of watery stool. Some may need to use lower doses than others. If high grade brands are not available use any form of vitamin C that is available.
- Children can benefit as well by taking doses consistent with their bowel tolerance.
Gut Microbiome Support – further optimize the immune system use high quality forms of Probiotics and Prebiotics. Nearly 70% of the body’s immune system resides in the intestines (Gut Associated Lymphatic Tissue).
- OrthoBiotic is a multi-strain, high potency probiotic (healthy bacterial flora).
- Each capsule contains a minimum of 20 Billion Colony Forming Units and eight different strains of healthy bacteria. Take one capsule daily.
- IAG (Arabinogalactan powder from the American Lark Tree)
- Very potent immune enhancer and prebiotic (food for the probiotic).
- If infected with a cold or flu or other immune system depression you may take up to 1 TBSP three times daily.
- Maintenance dose is 1 tsp daily with food. Mix with water or small amount of juice. IAG can be used for people of all ages, from infancy to the elderly.
To help kill viruses in your sinuses, lungs, skin, room air and any surface:
- Used as natural antiviral, antifungal and antibiotic.
- NOTE: as can happen with all foods, rare allergies occur to iodine and up to 1% of individuals have some level of allergy to iodine. When first using iodine put one drop on arm and evaluate after a few minutes for swelling, irritation or other signs of allergy. If none, take one drop on tongue. If no negative symptoms you are unlikely allergic.
- Preventive or management strategy for sinuses: Spray one or two sprits into each nostril 1-3 times daily or as needed to manage risk or symptoms.
- Systemic or GI infections: Use 5sprays in mouth and swallow three times a daily and re-evaluate as needed.
- Lower respiratory – virus, bacteria or fungus infection: Spray the Liquid Iodine into your mouth and inhale into your lungs (3-5+ sprays three or more times daily).
- Iodine not only kills viruses and microbes but it, breaks up mucous congestion and supports the health of the cells lining the sinuses, throat and lungs.
- Use topically by spraying low dose iodine mist on any area of suspected exposure/infection including eyes, skin and or area surface.
- “Iodine: The Forgotten Weapon Against Influenza Viruses”, David Derry, MD, PhD, in the medical journal Thyroid Science 4(9):R1-5, 2009. Dr. Derry documented that “Iodine was the most effective agent for killing viruses, especially influenza viruses. Aerosol iodine was found to kill viruses in sprayed mists, and solutions of iodine were equally effective.
In 1945, Burnet and Stone found that putting iodine on mice snouts prevented the mice from being infected with lethal levels of live influenza virus in mists. They suggested that impregnating masks with iodine would help stop viral spread [ideally spray on outside of N95 or N99 masks and let dry before use]. They also recommended that medical personnel have iodine-aerosol-treated rooms for examination and treatment of highly infected patients.
Oral iodine might also boost body defense mechanisms in the upper oral and respiratory mucus. Conclusion: Iodine incorporated into masks, solutions, aerosols, and oral preparations could help to kill influenza viruses and fight off an H1N1 Pandemic.”
Iodizyme-HP (total iodine/iodide per tablet is 12.5mg which is equal to 12,500 mcg).
- If you don’t experience negative symptoms when using Liquid Iodine (some are sensitive to the detoxification reactions that occur as the iodine kills bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses; and stimulates the removal of toxins from the body) you may further benefit from the combination of iodine (5.0mg) and Potassium Iodide (7.5mg) found in each tablet of Iodizyme-HP
- Start with ½ tablet once daily for two weeks and then increase to one full tab daily. Take with or without food.
- David Derry recommends using one tablet daily as a way to build up iodine levels in the body thus optimizing natural antiviral status in the mucosal tissues, sinuses, throat and lungs. If you are on thyroid medications, work with your family doctor and recheck TSH and thyroid panel after six weeks to see if your thyroid medication dose needs adjustment.
- If the concentrated form of iodine/potassium iodide in Iodizyme is unavailable you may use Lugol’s 2% solution which contains 2.6mg (2,600mcg) of the combined forms of iodine per drop. This form is not intended for use as a nasal or lung spray as it can be very irritating and can stain clothing. It can be used orally as an option to the tablet.
If feeling toxic OR like you are having a chemical sensitivity reaction immediately take the following: 1,000mg or more of Vitamin C, any good form of magnesium like – Krebs Magnesium 100mg or magnesium citrate or magnesium glycinate 100-200mg. May take several times daily.May also use Celtic or Himalayan Pink Sea Salt ¼ tsp right away and several times daily if blood pressure is low or normal (often decreases symptoms of detox reactions associated with increasing iodine to more optimal levels). Also make sure you’re on a good source of Selenium like Aquthe multiple YoungLife Complete (use two capsules three times daily). This may help alkalinize the blood and thus neutralize and remove various toxins.
- Internal infections – 5sprays in mouth and swallow three times a daily and re-evaluate as needed.
- Benefit to lungs – 5 sprays and inhale into lungs three times daily.
- Preventive or management strategy for sinuses – spray one or two sprits into each nostril 1-3 times daily or as needed to manage risk or symptoms.
- Topically on any area of suspected infection including eyes and any skin area. Support natural antimicrobial qualities in skin. Studies show that nanoparticle forms of silver dramatically lower viral titers without negative side effects to normal cells.
- (1). One study using intranasal silver nanoparticle “administration in mice significantly enhanced survival, lower lung viral titer levels, minor pathologic lesions in lung tissue, and remarkable survival advantage after infection with the H3N2 influenza virus (2).”
- Trefry,J.C.; Wooley, D.P. Silver nanoparticles inhibit vacciniavirus infection by preventing viral entry through a macropinocytosis-dependent mechanism. J. Biomed. Nanotechnol. 2013, 9, 1624–1635.
- Xiang, D.X.; Zheng, Y.; et al. Inhibition of A/Human/Hubei/3/2005 (H3N2) influenza virus infection by silver nanoparticles in vitro and in vivo. Int. J. Nanomed. 2013, 8, 4103–4113.
- Purchase nasal spray Snoot cap (back in stock soon) that screws onto the liquid iodine and/or the ACS 200 bottles so that you can spray directly into your sinuses or lungs (by breathing in while spraying it). If someone is infected with any type of respiratory virus, they should have a separate spray bottle and Snoot cap in order to prevent contaminating family members. Most families should have one or two spray bottles that can be used to combine various therapeutic liquid products. Additionally, you can use nasal spray applicator caps (not currently in stock) that come without bottles and can be attached to the 2 once Liquid Iodine and/or the ACS 200 colloidal silver bottles.
Biocidin TS Advanced Formula Throat Spray (currently out of stock nationally).
- Spray 1-3 times in mouth towards back of throat one or more times daily as needed.
- This a potent immune supporting formula of herbs. If sensitive to new products start with only 1 spray and gradually work up.
Zinc Lozenges 10mg (currently back ordered nationally): For sore throat, laryngitis, and colds.
- Allow Lozenge to dissolve completely in mouth. Do not chew as the immune activation and antiviral activity is best while the Zinc Lozenge remains in the mouth.
- May take as often as every 2 hours but do not exceed 10 per day.
- Do not use for more than 7 days in a row without consulting your doctor.
Zinc Citrate or Picolinate 25-50mg: Take 1 capsule twice daily for support of immune system and overall metabolism. Optionally may take one capsule of Reacted Zinc 54mg as highly absorbed Zinc Bisglycinate Chelate. The concentration of zinc in the blood and inside the lung cells directly correlates with blocking viral replication inside the cells.
Quercitin 250-500mg (currently backordered) taken with or without food once to three times daily. Quercitin helps the zinc enter the cell in order to block viral replications, decreases the viruses ability to infect cells, and has been shown to provide broad spectrum protection agains many viruses including SARS.
N-Acetylcysteine (NAC): (currently on back order) If you do get infected it would be prudent to also take two 600mg of oral NAC capsules daily (one capsule twice daily) which has been shown to greatly reduce flu like symptoms by 75% in those exposed.
New England Journal of Medicine 2010; 362:2175-2184. Pandemic 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus has … of treatment with prednisone, azathioprine, and N-acetylcysteine
In 2013, Dr. David Hui from the Division of Respiratory Medicine at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, published “Adjunctive therapies and immunomodulatory agents in the management of severe influenza” in the journal Antiviral Research 98 (2013) 410–416. Dr. Hui
High-dose NAC, administered at 100 mg/kg daily as a continuous IV infusion, appeared to be effective in reducing C-reactive protein and oxygen requirement and improving the clinical outcome in a 48-year-old, previously healthy woman, who had presented with severe pneumonia and septic shock due to H1N1pdm09 influenza.
Geiler, J., Michaelis, M., Naczk, P., Leutz, A., Langer, K., Doerr, H.W., Cinatl Jr., J., 2010. N-acetyl-l-cysteine (NAC) inhibits virus replication and expression of pro- inflammatory molecules in A549 cells infected with highly pathogenic H5N1 influenza A virus. Biochem. Pharmacol. 79, 413–420.
Certain secondary bacterial infection can further compromise those initially infected by viruses, in part because the bacteria can secrete a protective biofilm that blunts the effect of antibiotics. At 400-600 mg per day, oral N-Acetylcysteine (NAC) can block the bacteria from making its biofilm, markedly improving the impact of antibiotics. Studies have shown doubling to tripling of bacterial infection eradication rates when NAC is added to standard drug therapy.
NOTE: our office staff are understandably extremely busy addressing lab orders, phoning patients who are scheduled for consultations and making sure they are getting their orders in the mail. This document is intended to fully address most questions on this topic. Please do not call our office to ask general questions. You may email us if you have questions and we will try to address them as time allows. First watch all the videos and study this document as it is very thorough. We will not be able to take orders over the phone. If you wish, you can easily order these and other products by clicking on any of the product names listed above as they are each linked to our website and on-line store.